International Student Trips Powered By Discovery Education
Ashlee's Australia Adventure

The Interesting Day

Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 3 started off at the Healesville Sanctuary. First thing that we did was visit a sugar glider. The average age that a sugar glider lives is around 5 years old. The glider we visited was 10 years old! I was surprised about the age because I thought they would live longer. It kind of sad that they die so young. We also got to touch the sugar glider's fur. It was very soft compared to other fur I have touched. We also got to touch the skin of a snake, unlike the sugar glider the snake's skin was warm. The next thing we got to do is watch a kangaroo autopsy. The smell was horrible. I don't think I have smelled anything as bad as that. Even though the smell was bad I still liked watching it because I have never anything like that before. I did learn that the spleen is shaped like a t shape and that is only in a marsupial. My favorite part of the day was the last thing which was the bird show. We got to see the wedged tailed eagle. It is the largest bird in Australia. The bird that I liked was the Black Breasted Buzzard. I liked that bird because it cracked an emu egg open by dropping a rock on the egg. The reason I liked the bird so much is because it was so funny watching this creature use a rock to crack an egg open This is the one way they can find food in the wild.

To wrap up an exciting day we did some shopping! I was very excited about this because I absolutely love shopping. The shopping wasn't what I expected. I thought we were going into stores but instead it was all outside. It was fun walking around and being in the fresh air. I have to say one thing that was really hard about the shopping trip was shopping for my older brother. In the end I bought some cute things. It was a good way to end the day for an early morning tomorrow. C ya!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Essential Programs Details

Duration 14 days
When May 25th - June 7th, 2009
Focus Marine Biology
Conservation/Wildlife
Aboriginal Culture